Selected elementary students will LEAP into summer learning on Wednesday, June 28.
LEAP is the division’s full-day remediation and enrichment summer program for about 500 selected K-5 students and rising kindergarten students without preschool experience.
- (Enrollment is closed. Letters have been mailed to parents of students invited to participate in LEAP 2017.)
- The program will be held at Hillpoint Elementary School from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays — starting June 28 and ending July 27.
- Morning sessions will focus on academic remediation, and afternoon sessions will focus on enrichment opportunities.
- LEAP administrators are elementary assistant principals Jennifer Conner and Jill Paraska.
- The program also provides some health and wellness activities, such as vision and hearing screenings, dental exams, physical fitness screenings, life and safety skills, and conflict resolution lessons.
- Community partners in the 2017 program include United for Children / United Way of South Hampton Roads, Early Childhood Development Commission of Suffolk, Hampton Roads Community Health Center / Healthy Smiles, Birdsong Foundation, Suffolk Library System, Suffolk Parks & Recreation, Suffolk YMCA, Suffolk Partnership for a Healthy Community, Triple T Sports Center, and Western Tidewater Community Services Board.
- Enrichment activities will include field trips, sign language, swimming, woodworking, crafting, dance, aerobic exercise, computer coding, movie-making, team sports, reading in rhythm, healthy eating, gymnastics, book club, science camp, fitness, and computer creations.
- For more information, contact Conner at email@example.com or Paraska at firstname.lastname@example.org