Jul 11

Have you moved?

If you have moved or had any other status change, please visit the school office to have those changes made to your student’s record.

If you have moved, please provide a copy of your water, gas or electric bill.

If you have just moved within the last 30 days and do not have a utility bill yet, you may provide a copy of your signed lease or closing statement on your home.

If you are living with a family member or friend for 30 days or more and consider this to be your fixed address, please provide a copy of your Virginia driver’s license with the Suffolk address, notarized Proof of Residency Enrollment form, and the homeowner’s utiltiy bill and license.

If you have any questions, please call the school office at 923-4251.